Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Here a Stitchery... there a Stitchery!

While it is true that one of my favorite things is sitting down at my beloved Janome with a piece of beautiful fabric and creating something, I really love making stitcheries.

The whole process – drawing words or pictures with a water-soluble pen, sorting through my stash of floss for the perfect colors, and then the actual stitching – is just so relaxing and enjoyable.  Because I work in a country primitive style, the words are not always perfectly straight and the figures don’t have to be photographic quality.  Cats and houses, words and pumpkins, snowmen and snowladies – anything my imagination leads me to.  It’s just plain fun!

Psychologists should explore the relaxing effects of the backstitch.  Sewing a picture has to be therapeutic.  No matter the stresses of the day or the noises around me, watching the needle moving and creating is almost meditative.

I remember back a number of years ago, at a show my husband and I did in a Kansas City, KS suburb.  I was arranging pillows stitched with clever sayings in what I hoped was an artistic display when a couple of fellow crafters wandered by.  Both ladies stopped, aghast, and said, “Oh my, those will never sell.  We’ve never seen anything like that before….”

I sold out.

And I was hooked on stitcheries from then on.  Not just because they all sold, but because I could do something I truly loved to do and share it with others.  I will never lose the thrill I feel when someone sees something I’ve created and their face lights up as they reach for it.

I am truly blessed.


All I need is muslin, warm and natural batting, a disappearing marker and an idea.

Ready to stitch!

Stitching...love this part!

All pressed and trimmed - this stitchery is ready to be made into a pillow.  This beautiful fabric is called Blueberry Crumb Cake - just perfect for a little country style pillow!

Finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment