Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Does This Ever Happen to You?

Does this ever happen to you?

On my way to my day job (sigh), traffic was surprisingly light.  The sun was only medium bright, and the temperature was already in the mid-70's - not bad for July in Georgia.  In other words, just a lovely day in the making.  A Bob Seger CD was cranked up loud that I was singing along to, back windows down...and then it hit me.

That old urge to wander.  Far.

Only a couple of miles to I-75, turn left and go...home to Michigan.  Or, turn right and go south to a Florida beach and be lazy.

Oh the possibilities!

For a moment I let myself embrace the idea of either visiting family I miss so much, along with freighter-watching, fog horns, channel marker bells, waterfalls and the piney woods "up North".  Or, turn the other way to the delicious, fresh seafood of the Gulf, sitting in a chair on the white sands, watching waves and enjoying total relaxation under the hot sun, baking away my cares and woes.

I could imagine myself standing at the edge of Lake Superior, only the soft sound of waves lapping gently at my feet, the scent of pine and clean water mixing in the cool air, a hot cup of coffee in my hand and peace in my heart.

On the other hand, I could see myself on the Gulf coast, in a comfortable reclining chair under a big umbrella, bigger waves rolling unto the white sandy beach, the scent of salty sea water in the air with laughing children building their sandcastles nearby and seagulls squawking overhead.

Oh the choices I could make.

With the turn into work fast approaching, reality and responsibility took over.  I made the turn, parked by car, and went on in.

Daydream over for now.



I wrote the above a bit ago, as I debated, agonized and struggled with a life-changing decision of whether or not to leave the security of my day job to grow Gypsy Wind Designs.  Honestly, there were many sleepless nights, maybe even a few tears, and much talking with my patient and supportive husband over the time before the final step was taken.

All the angst was worth it - I do not regret for one moment the decision to make that leap, and truly I embrace the challenge I've made for myself.

Now the hum of my Janome is music to my ears - Michigan or Florida will have to wait a little more.


No comments:

Post a Comment