Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Happy Endings Happen!

After a long and sad two year separation, my love and I have reunited! It is with great joy that I announce this reconciliation, and I have vowed not to go through that agony ever again.

It began when, in some moment of apparent insanity, I decided that Gevalia coffee was just too expensive so I stopped my monthly deliveries and cancelled my membership.

What was I thinking?

My coffee addiction has long been documented. I live for that perfect mug of coffee to begin my day and perk up my afternoons. In times of stress, I find comfort in a (huge) cup of Royal Vinter or Stockholm or CafĂ© Sperl. Yes…tea is nice too, but I truly love a cup of steaming hot, fragrant coffee.
Maybe crave is a better word. Maybe.



In the approximately 730 days since cancellation of my Gevalia membership, I cannot say I did not have a nice cup of coffee. Truthfully, some were pretty good. For a while I thought I might have found a suitable (read less expensive) substitution. In other words, I really did try to feed my addiction with other coffees.

Then, the Gevalia ads began on television, inviting me to have a cup of Johann. Oh my. The morning cup of joe became even less satisfying as the comparison crept around the corners of my mind and niggled at my taste buds. When I came home to a “We miss you” invitation to come back to the Gevalia coffee club in my mailbox, I saw the stars aligning, heard angelic choirs singing, felt the earth moving…fate was calling but I still didn’t listen.

But I did save the mailing.

Last night, I actually dreamt of a large mug of Gevalia coffee. Yes, I really did; no, Johann was not serving it, but the die was cast.

First thing this morning I rejoined Gevalia, and this time it’s for life. Like a good marriage, coffee is forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment