Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Bob Seger and Me

Today it's Justin Bieber.  When my daughter was about that age, it was Justin Timberlake.  When I was that age, it was Bob Seger.

At that time, I lived in southeast Michigan, and Bob Seger sightings did happen.  I remember one time he was on the Southfield Freeway service drive on his Harley.  That mental photograph still makes my heart race.


I've joked over the years that he wrote You'll Accomp'ny Me just for me.

Of course, I don't believe it myself, and it's not at all true, but one can fantasize.  Especially when, several years ago a particularly annoying co-worker kept carrying on about Bob as if she were his best friend.  I sorta let it drop that we went to the same school and that we may have had a friendship.  Some truth in this - it was very briefly - and while I knew who he was, he hadn't a clue who I was.

The look on her face somehow made me mention that song.  My bad.

So, to this day, whenever I need a pick-me-up or just need to hear to some good old time rock and roll, I'll listen to a Bob Seger CD really loud.  May even dance around some.  And when You'll Accomp'ny Me comes on, I'll repeat it 6 or 7 or 8 times.


No comments:

Post a Comment